Why is supporting Big Brothers Big Sisters so important?We make a profound social impact and the challenge is daunting. The facts, right here in our community, show that in 2008:
Big Brothers Big Sisters is the nation's preeminent youth-service organization. With experience in matching volunteers (Bigs) with children (Littles), BBBS has the model and method for making these relationships strong, fun and happy. Big Brothers and Big Sisters are, most importantly, friends to children. They share everyday activities, expand horizons and help their Littles to experience the joy in even the simplest events.
- 224 teenage girls became pregnant before age 20
- 476 youth dropped out of school
- 72 teens live in detention or correction facilities
- 6,400 children live in poverty
- 12,376 children live in single-parent homes
BBBS mentoring can help children overcome the challenges of poverty, dangerous neighborhoods and poor school performance.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cedar Rapids & East Central Iowa WorksFor more than a century, Big Brothers Big Sisters has provided one-to-one mentoring that helps children become successful adults. Locally, children matched in our program have improved by:
What if every child fulfills their potential? What if every child is put on the right path today? What if every child in America graduated high school, went to college and gave back to their communities?
Nationally, research shows that, in comparison with their peers, adults who were Littles are:
- 92% in self-confidence
- 79% in academic performance
- 83% in relationship with peers
- 75% more likely to have a 4-year degree
- 39% more likely to have income of $75k or higher
- Enjoying healthy relationships with friends (72%)
- More likely to volunteer in their community (52%)
To maximize your impact, here are some great ways to get involved!
“Kiley's buddy has been a great influence on her. She has been able to capitalize on and bring out Kiley's greatest attributes in her.”
~Taylor Elementary Teacher
LEARN about the impact we’re making — Attend or Host a Vision Meeting
Learn more about Big Brothers Big Sisters, the children we serve and the positive impact we’re having in our community. Please join us at one of the scheduled times or call to host a Vision Meeting at your location!
Contact Trina Roos at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-377-8993 to RSVP
ENGAGE employees to help mentor children — Host a Recruitment Event
Each child is served by matching them with their own mentor. By hosting a Recruitment Event at your company, you’ll help us meet the needs of children in our community and offer your employees an opportunity to make their own impact.
contact Nick Hofmeyer, Community Outreach Specialist, at NickH@BeABigCR.org or 319-377-8993. to schedule an event!
PARTNER with Big Brothers Big Sisters by providing financial resources — Donate
Big Brothers Big Sisters relies on the community for financial support, through Event Sponsorships, Corporate and Local Grants, Matching Gifts and Individual Giving. By supporting the work we do, everyone wins! To learn more about how you can help.
Contact our Linda Henecke, President & CEO, at 319-377-8993 x105.
TAKE ACTION TODAY!Help us fulfill these wish list items:
- Do you know a male who would make a good Big Brother? We need men to be a mentor to a young man. Help us recruit others to become a Big by scheduling a recruitment event.
- Open your doors for us to tell our story at your business, club and place of worship.
- With a nearly $1,000,000 annual budget, financial supporters are vital! Just $3 a day spent on coffee could support one new match relationship for a year!
- Do you know a co-worker, friend or family member who cares about helping youth? Help connect us with talented staff, interns and office volunteers.
- Help us identify active business leaders to support youth mentoring by serving on our Board of Directors.
- Support our largest fundraiser by forming a bowling team or connecting us to potential Team Captains for Bowl For Kids’ Sake.
- Ask to receive our weekly Big News! Eblast containing a listing of match activities and other agency news – You’re welcome to join us at any event!
Take your first action step today!
Call 319-377-8993 to share your ideas!